The glittering skyline called to me. It promised upscale apartments, world-class restaurants, high culture, and all manner of entertainment. Museums and galleries, film and theater, music and sporting events… the list was long. Change is scary. But it’s also what makes us grow. So I leapt. I moved and eventually found a job as an assistant editor with a small company called International Living. And that modest paycheck was enough for the Sex and the City lifestyle I craved. But instead of wearing Manolos and tossing back $18 cosmos in NYC, I was sitting pretty in sandals, sipping the best Argentinian wines at $6 a glass in Panama City. It was an international melting pot—an easy place to make friends. I found myself being invited to the Caribbean province of Bocas del Toro (“Let’s go camping on the furthest island!”), the Pearl Archipelago (my friend Edna, a celebrity chef, has a holiday home), the cloud forest in Cerro Azul (“it’s a party weekend,” said my pal Jonathan, dragging me along). Instead of living to work, I worked to live. Or rather, to live it up. Unbrainwashing MyselfLike most Gen Xers, I’d been bamboozled into believing that a good life meant a “big” power career. If you never made it to CEO, you were a failure, right? Wrong. Panamanians teach by example. Ambition is great, there’s plenty of that here, but family and friends matter more. Dancing and laughing is important. Even in business and healthcare, personal relationships are prized. The lessons I learned made me a better person—more tolerant, less stressed. I was never going to get rich—but I had a job I loved and valued. And it showed. Soon I was promoted. Next thing I knew, I was being paid to travel and write about it. Once again, my life seemed glamorous to my friends. And with mostly 40-hour weeks, I could finally agree. After 17 years of enjoying that Sex And The City life, I still wasn’t done with Panama. But I was ready for a change. I’d written admiringly about Coronado—in 2011, I told IL readers it “still offers the best value” on Panama's Pacific Coast. So in 2022, I took my own advice and bought here. It’s an active little expat hub where I’ve found community and a serene beach environment. My thousand-square-foot apartment has killer ocean views straight out of a picture postcard from Hawaii. (And the price I paid was ridiculously low, but that’s another story… so stay tuned.) I’m happy as a clam. Instead of searching desperately for fulfillment, I’ve realized that in Panama, the here and now is the reward. So stick a fork in me—I’m @#$!ing done. |
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home